Hi, I’m Cathy, Editor of Muddy Notts & Derbyshire.
I’ve been writing for national newspapers and women’s lifestyle magazines for more than 20 years, including Red, Grazia, Good Housekeeping, The Telegraph and The Times.
After city living amid the buzz of Brighton while commuting to London, a year spent in Sweden reminded me how much I missed the countryside and, when I had my first child we upped sticks and moved out to the Derbyshire border. More than a decade later – now with three kids in tow – I love having the Peak District on the doorstep for wild, windy walks (ideally with a cosy pub at the end!) but still appreciate slipping on the stilettos for a night out in Nottingham or Derby.
Coolhunting has been part of my job description for years and I love to stay ahead of the curve with what’s cool, new and quirky. Stick with me and I’ll give you the inside track on everything worth your time in our two fabulous counties. From exciting new openings and under-the-radar events to intriguing indie boutiques and fabulous family days out, I can’t wait to share all my finds with you right here on Muddy.
1. I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself (for example, an event that hasn’t happened yet – um, I’m not a miracle worker) I let you know about it. Occasionally guest editors will review and these will be clearly marked as such
2. Muddy Stilettos is a commercial site and accepts advertising and payment to feature products and brands. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
3. I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
4. I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
5. I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. BUT if you’re not good enough, I will not write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
I hope you love the site. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my splendiferous newsletter delivered to your inbox to be the first to know about all the cool stuff happening in your area!